Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

Red Collection (Golden Ratio), larger painting (+ David Wiesner's "Phone Home")


Red Collection (Golden Ratio), 2017, oil on panel, 8 x 10 inches
Available
Contact me at abbeyryan@gmail.com for purchase information

This painting (of a cigar, copper tack, cardinal feather, matches, and Vasari's alizarin crimson) is the second in my Golden Ratio series; in 2014 I exhibited my Blue Collection (Golden Ratio), 6 x 7 inches, at the Peto Museum. These tromp l'oeil paintings relate to a series of non-objective ink paintings that I've been working on since 2012 that utilize the structure of the golden ratio. I've been considering the golden ratio as not just a structure (as it is in this painting), but as subject matter in my still life and tromp l'oeil oil paintings.

I would like to recommend a fantastic blog by Caldecott-winning illustrator/author David Wiesner. One entry, entitled "Phone Home," begins like this:

"In 1982, the film E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial was released. History was made.
In 1984, my agent, Dilys Evans, got a phone call from representatives of Steven Spielberg. They were looking for a children’s book illustrator to work on a top-secret project with Mr. Spielberg. They wouldn’t actually say what the subject of the project was, but there were enough hints that Dilys realized it had to do with E.T.
Dilys knew this was perfect for me – I knew film, I knew sci-fi, I knew fantasy, and I knew children’s books. I spent several days putting together a presentation of my work to send to LA...."

To see lots of images and keep reading: [http://www.davidwiesner.com/work/phone-home/]

Ending soon at 3:30pm EST Monday, March 27:
Lemon with Leaves, Flower, and Bud

Click to view auction

To get my painting in your inbox, sign up here. To purchase my work, view my Current Auctions and All Available Paintings.

Best,