Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

Still Life with Hand-picked Apple, Bleu Cheese, and Silver Cup (Live Demo Painting)

Still Life with Hand-picked Apple, Bleu Cheese, and Silver Cup (Live Demo Painting)
6x8 inches, oil on linen on panel, 10 April 2020, larger than my typical auction paintings.

Thank you for tuning in to my live demo. I'm honored that so many painters, friends, family, Arcadia students, alums, faculty, staff, and administrators watched and live chatted. We received comments from an Arcadia alum from 2017 and the family of a new Arcadia student who will be starting in Fall 2020. Afterwards, an Arcadia alum sent me a photo of her son painting along with me "using my brush technique" (holding it at the end). I received an amazing photo of a family eating popcorn and watching my live demo on a big screen. Art critic Jerry Saltz tweeted during my demo and took a quick look (check out his new book). I thanked (in Portuguese) a viewer watching in Portugal. And Zuca, laying on my feet, snored through it all!

If you're interested, here are a few of the many notes I received from those who tuned in:
  • "I really cannot thank you enough for the live painting this afternoon. It was the most relaxing thing to have on and it was absolutely beautiful!! Please keep this going :)"
  • "I watched and am still amazed by your talent! .... You're amazing, thank you."
  • "Awesome demo...  Another masterpiece.  Thanks so much for giving all of us a respite from this endless quarantine!"
  • "My kids used [your demo] as art credit! They were amazed by the apple and how the cup looked brown in the beginning and now it looks silver! Amazing job Abbey!"
  • "It was fascinating watching you paint and your 'in the now' meditative way of working!!!!  So glad to have tuned in and look forward to the next!"
  • "Your video was wonderful. I watched from Hudson, Ohio and passed this on to a fellow-painter who watched from Chicago. Your color blew us away! Thank you - learned a lot! Hope to take a workshop."
If you missed it: on Friday, April 10, I conducted my annual live painting demonstration in my studio (instead of Grey Towers Castle at Arcadia University). The event was open to the public and streamed live at arcadia.edu/abbeyryanlive (note: YouTube has temporarily blocked the video due to copyright issues with music that was playing in the background, but this will be resolved soon. In the meantime, you can watch it here).

This painting (and my live demo) honors the memory of my friend, Jami. The painting is larger than my typical auction paintings and all proceeds from this auction will be donated to the Jami Rodriguez Memorial Scholarship at Arcadia. Read more.

I am starting to post photos from the event on Facebook and Instagram (check back because I'll be adding more). Also, if you look closely, there's a self portrait of sorts down the middle of the cup's reflections. I invite you to watch the full recording of my live demo (short time lapse coming next week):


Tech Credit: Natavan Werbock, Arcadia University; Socials Credit: Jen Retter, Arcadia University.

If you enjoy this video, you may also like to see more of my live demo painting time lapse videos.

To get my painting in your inbox, sign up here.
To purchase my work, view my Current Auctions and All Available Paintings.

P.S. Where ever you are right now, I wish you and your loved ones good health and peace of mind. There are many people in need and so many helpers right now -- I want to say thank you to all public health workers and medical professionals. So grateful for your sacrifices and commitment.