Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

Still Life with Figs, Bleu Cheese, and Temmoku Bottle (the light, the shade) (+ National Gallery of Art)


Still Life with Figs, Bleu Cheese, and Temmoku Bottle, 11 x 14 inches, framed
Private Collection

Ending Soon - at 1 PM EST today

Click to view auction

I want to share with you two of the most memorable works of art I've seen in 2013. First, I'd like to write a special thanks to artist Charles Ritchie, whose fabulous work and compelling artist lecture I wrote about on my blog in August 2012. I admire Charlie's work and find a genuine camaraderie with his daily practice -- a studio practice that he describes as being more about loving what he does every day than just a commitment to a discipline. This really resonated with me. As I mentioned last year, Charlie is also (since 1988) Associate Curator of Department of Modern Prints and Drawings, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC.

Last week at the National Gallery,
Charlie showed us some amazing prints and drawings from the Collection, and I want to share my two favorites with you. At first, I hesitated to post these online since they are so stunning in person that their presence could never be captured in an image or communicated on the web. But in the spirit of sharing what I can, here they are (image texts courtesy of the NGA) and please keep in mind that the originals are absolutely breathtaking:

Caspar David Friedrich (1774-1840) - New Moon above the Riesengebirge Mountains, 1810 or 1828/1835
pen and gray ink with watercolor over graphite on wove paper
overall: 26.2 x 36.5 cm (10 5/16 x 14 3/8 in.)
Wolfgang Ratjen Collection
Courtesy of National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC
Caspar David Friedrich (1774-1840) - Moonrise on an Empty Shore, 1837/1839
sepia washes over graphite on wove paper (with original black ink border)
overall: 25.2 x 39.5 cm (9 15/16 x 15 9/16 in.)
Courtesy of National Gallery of Art, Washington DC
Charlie also shared with me a link to this publication of German Master Drawings from the Wolfgang Ratjen Collection, as well as the Ratjen Catalogue text about New Moon above the Riesengebirge Mountains

Click below -- it's worth the read.



I hope you enjoy these works. Thanks, again, Charlie!

If you're interested, view all my Current Painting Auctions and Available Paintings.

Best,


To receive detail views of my paintings, sign in here (it's FREE):

View Current Painting Auctions
View All Available Paintings