Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

Two Peaches with Blue & White Porcelain Cup (+ Thoughts on Science and Art)


Click to view auction

Before I began my life as a painter about ten years ago, I spent a short bit of time in the amazing medical illustration program in the Department of Art as Applied to Medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Although I loved the program and loved the medical illustration work I was doing there, while I was at Hopkins I realized that my life's calling was to be a painter. (side note: writing that always reminds me of David Mallett's wonderful song, Artist in Me.)

Anyway, I still have an interest in science and art. Over the last six months, my current curiosity and research relates to da Vinci and sacred geometry. It's too new for me to really write about here yet, so in the meantime, I wanted to share with you this remarkable TED talk: David Bolinsky "Beautiful Information?" at TEDxSanFrancisco (7 Billion Well), from November 2012. Save the link for a time you can really sit and watch as it is almost 13 minutes. David is a friend of mine -- he's the former lead medical illustrator at Yale University and he launched the world's first digital medical animation company, Advanced Imaging. David then co-founded XVIVO Scientific Animation, which produced the cutting-edge movie "The Inner Life of the Cell." Here's more about why you should listen to him.

Ending Soon
The auction for Still Life with Ike's Handmade Vase, Apricots, and Blue Jay Feather ends soon at 9:20 PM EDT. View Auction

If you're interested, you can also view all my Current Painting Auctions.

Best,

To receive detail views of my paintings, sign in here (it's FREE):

View Current Painting Auctions
View All Available Paintings

Here's how this painting would look framed: