Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

Ceci n'est pas une pipe (Woodstock, NY) (+ Magritte & Peto)


Ceci n'est pas une pipe (from Woodstock, NY), 6x7 in., oil on linen on panel, 2015

You probably have noticed that I like to periodically pay homage to certain art historical moments that interest me. This painting references René Magritte's La trahison des images, also known as The Treachery of Images -- a famous painting of a pipe. Below it, Magritte painted, "Ceci n'est pas une pipe." -- French for "This is not a pipe." He painted it in 1928-29 when he was 30 years old.

I found this amazing pipe over the summer at a market in Woodstock, NY. Of course, it caught my eye because of my connection to John F. Peto and the Peto Museum.

One of Peto's well-known favorite objects to paint was a pipe (as you can see in his paintings here).

I may bring this pipe along with me next month to use in my demo painting during my Peto Museum workshop. It's always such an honor to be able to choose from Peto's own still life objects for my demo painting set up during my workshop. More on that later.

Peto Museum, NJ - Oct. 24-25  - Click to register (several spots left -- sells out at 10)



Still not sure about signing up?
  1. Read many more testimonials here and here
  2. Watch this video to learn about my approach to painting
  3. View photos from my last Peto Museum workshop
  4. Feel free to email me with any questions
I look forward to painting with you at the Peto Museum in October. Reserve your spot today.   

To purchase my work, view my Current Painting Auctions and All Available Paintings.

All best,