Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

Pohnpeian Cowry Shell and Italian Plum (Yin & Yang)

Abbey Ryan Original Oil painting
Click to view auction

Abbey Ryan Original Oil paintingThis painting continues my "yin and yang" series that I started back in 2010. In this painting is a cowry shell that I brought back from Pohnpei, Micronesia (north Pacific) when I lived there during the summer of 2001. I was there doing volunteer work and SCUBA diving at a marine science lab, and it was amazing. This is my first time painting this remarkable shell, although I've thought about painting it for years. For fun, to the right is a snapshot that I posted recently as #tbt on facebook of me diving in Pohnpei. (P.S. You might notice in the snapshot that 2001 was also the summer I shaved my head in San Francisco, but perhaps I'll save that story for another day...)

Enjoy,


View Current Painting Auctions 
View All Available Paintings

To receive stories about my painting adventures, join me here: 

Detail View: If you are interested in receiving detail views of my work, sign up.

Framed View:
Abbey Ryan Original Oil painting