Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

Landscape in the Clouds, Montserrat, near Barcelona, Spain (+ Thoughts on the Picasso Museum)


Click to view auction


I felt like I was literally up in the clouds as I was painting my final painting in Spain. I took a train to Montserrat outside of Barcelona and then took a cable car (!!!) up to Montserrat (elevation: 4,055 feet). It was an adventure (especially the cable car) that is best understood through the photos. (Click on the photos to the right for a larger view or see them all on facebook.) 

It was pretty cold as I was painting this, but I was so inspired by the view that it didn't bother me at all. I finished painting just in time to go into the Santa Maria de Montserrat Benedictine Abbey to hear the L'Escolania de Montserrat boys' choir of sopranos and altos. It was truly a breathtaking performance.

Before I end my posts about Spain, I wanted to also share that one of my favorite places in Barcelona was the Picasso Museum. I have to admit that I was floored by Picasso's early work -- self portraits, portraits of his father (also an artist), and landscapes/seascapes from when Picasso was 12 and 13 years old. I tried to find these paintings online, but could only find one or two. As a result, I have to recommend that you go to Barcelona to see for yourself. ;-)

[If you're new to my blog, I often write about my experiences in museums (National Gallery, The Met, Peto Museum, Philadelphia Museum of Art here and here). To receive my writings first, join me here for free.]

If you're interested, view all my Current Painting Auctions and Available Paintings.

Enjoy,


To receive detail views of my paintings, sign in here (it's FREE):

View Current Painting Auctions
View All Available Paintings

Here's how this painting would look framed: