Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

still life with copper pot and pears (the light, the shade) (+ museum exhibition)


still life with copper pot and pears (the light, the shade), patmos, greece
oil on linen on panel, 2017, 8"x10"
Private Collection
Print available here.

Starting this Friday, Still Life with Copper Pot and Pears (the light, the shade) will be on view in a juried museum exhibition "Perspectives of the American Experience" at the Rockwell Museum, Corning, NY. The exhibition runs from January 19 - April 22, 2018. The Rockwell Museum exhibition was juried by Kirsty Buchanan, Curator of Collection, Rockwell Museum and Dr. Constance Sullivan-Blum, former Director, the ARTS Council of the Southern Finger Lakes. From their website: "This highly competitive and tightly-curated exhibit will showcase a diverse group of representational artworks by artists who draw, paint or sculpt in a contemporary or traditional style that fit the theme of "Perspectives of the American Experience." #awarockwell

This painting is part of my ongoing series "the light, the shade" and I painted it on Patmos, Greece while creating my work for my Johnston Fellowship research and upcoming exhibition (more details later). Generous support for my "the light, the shade" series from June 2016-June 2018 is provided by the Norman Johnston Fellowship at Arcadia University.*

If you've followed my blog, my "the light, the shade" paintings are part of my daily painting work and are inspired by American poet Robert Lax's minimalist poetry, Lax's contemplative life on Patmos, Greece (one of the oldest known penal colonies in history), and Dr. Norman Johnston’s writings on “monastic imprisonment.” If you're not familiar, I first wrote about Robert Lax as the inspiration for my "the light, the shade" paintings here.

If you enjoy this painting, you may also like to see my paintings from my "the light, the shade" series.

To get my painting in your inbox, sign up here.
To purchase my work, view my Current Auctions and All Available Paintings.

Best,


*The Dr. Norman Johnston Faculty Fellowship was endowed by the estate of Dr. Norman Johnston to encourage talented and dedicated faculty members to excel in research and scholarship in the humanities and social sciences and to share their knowledge with the University community. The fellowship promotes the values of Professor Emeritus Norman Johnston, who understood the central role of faculty in the education process, the open exchange of ideas, and the engagement of the entire University community. Dr. Johnston joined Arcadia in 1962 and was an international expert on the history of prison architecture. He taught at the University for 30 years, retiring in 1992. Dr. Johnston passed away in October 2012 at the age of 91.