Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

Still Life with J. F. Peto's Creamer and Strawberries (+ Studio Sale this week)


Still Life with J. F. Peto's Creamer and Strawberries
Oil on linen on panel, 6x8 inches, 2017
AVAILABLE - Contact me at abbeyryan@gmail.com for purchase information

Last month, I taught a workshop at one of my favorite places: the John F. Peto Studio Museum. If you're not familiar, John Frederick Peto (1854-1907), born in Philadelphia, was a late nineteenth-century figure in the trompe l'oeil school of American still life painting. The Peto Museum is a renowned and memorable studio museum about 2 hours east of Philadelphia where I live and work.

The Museum again invited me to use Peto's still life objects in my painting demonstration during this year's workshop (I painted Peto's copper jug in 2013 and his salt-glazed mug in 2015).

I chose Peto's blue and white ceramic creamer. There is a painting at the museum in which Peto himself painted this blue and white ceramic creamer. If you're interested, Peto's painting of this same creamer, along with the creamer itself!, is to the right and also pictured in this 2013 New York Times article.

As I was setting up my still life, it was cool thinking that Peto held this very object in his hands, too. Setting up one of Peto's still life objects in my own still life set up was an incredible experience.

********** STUDIO SALE **********
WEDNESDAY, NOV 8TH, 12 NOON EST

Since I am preparing to move my studio, I'll be having a STUDIO SALE of some available paintings. The sale will be discounted set prices, not auctions. Preview that link and I may try to add a few more paintings. Subscribers of my email list will get the sale notice first. If you aren't already on it, add yourself to my email list before Wed Nov 8th because in past studio sales, paintings have gone fast. First come, first served.

If you enjoy today's painting, you may also like to see Still life with John F. Peto's Copper Jug, Clementine, and Concord Grapes or Still Life with J. F. Peto's Salt-glazed Mug, Clementine, and Match.

To get my painting in your inbox, sign up here.
To purchase my work, view my Current Auctions and All Available Paintings.

Best,