Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

Havana Nocturne (Cuba 2012 painting #2)


Havana Nocturne, Havana, Cuba, 2012
4 x 6 in., oil on linen on panel

I did my second painting in Cuba very very late at night, looking at the vista out my window. Even though I was a bit tired from traveling, the color of the night sky beyond the city was irresistible to me. Since we had only just arrived in Havana, I didn't know whether or not the night sky looked like that every night. It never looked that same way again while I was there, so I'm glad I sat down and painted it that night.

Before I share more about Cuba, I want to say I am so thankful to have such wonderful blog fans/followers. After my first Cuba post, I got many inspiring and interesting emails and comments from you, and I love getting to know you all better. As I spend time in my studio and writing and posting my thoughts, your comments are invaluable to me -- I often go back and read them for insight and inspiration. Muchas gracias a mis amigos!

Earlier that day I learned a lot about Cuba. I attended an interesting lecture/discussion on economics and politics in the US-Cuban conflict (along with my group of Arcadia colleagues) at El Centro de Estudios Hemisféricos y sobre Estados Unidos de La Universidad de La HabanaWe also spent the afternoon at the Museo de la Revolución. It was all fascinating, but some things interested me most: the life-size model of Ché Guevara and Camilo Cienfuegos, handmade dioramas, charts, and graphs, and the painted ceiling and mirrors in El Salón Dorado. I posted photos, including my self portrait snapshot at the Museo de la Revolución, the view from the roof of Hotel Ambos Mundos (where Hemingway lived), and Universidad de La Habana, among other places. I also posted four new video clips of Havanalive music, two taxi rides -- one short and one long (worth-a-look-because-it-shows-the-Malécon), and some blustery rain). Let me know what you think in the comments, and if you enjoyed reading this, please use the links below to share it with your friends.

Look for my next post soon about my trek through Zapata Swamp and the Bay of Pigs, and why the National Cuban Art Museum is now one of my top three favorite museums in the world.

Last time, I wrote about how Cuba impacted me and reminded me how complicated things are. I can't summarize everything, but today someone wrote me a note about their visit to Cuba, appropriately calling it "an adjective-defying experience." Now, I am curious to hear if you've had enlightening travels. Maybe you've had an adjective-defying experience, perhaps when the reality of a place challenged your expectations? I hope you'll tell me about it in the comments below.


Muchas gracias,

For direct access to my paintings and writings, sign in here (it's free): 
View All Available Paintings & Visit Current Painting Auctions