Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

Italian Lemon with Leaves (Italy 2012 painting #5)


Abbey Ryan painting




















4 x 5 in., oil on linen on panel
Click to view auction

This is my final still life from my Italy trip last month. In the afternoon on one of our last days there, I walked to the market around the corner and found these beautiful freshly-picked lemons with long, glorious leaves. Back at the hotel, I set up the lemon in a spot by a window and painted the fleeting afternoon light. When I was finishing up the painting, it was dusk and I could barely see anything. :)

I have to say -- I don't mind when that happens because it always reminds me of my time studying with David Leffel and the almost smoky late-afternoon north light in the studios of the Art Students League of NY. (I should post about that sometime....)

If you missed my last email, I posted my photos from Italy (click here to view them). I've really been enjoying all of your comments!

If you want to read more about my travels and experiences abroad, sign up for my email list HERE (or email me and I can add you).

Visit my Current Painting Auctions and All Available Paintings.

Here's what this painting would look like framed:

Abbey Ryan painting