Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

Still Life with Jug, Cicada, Grapes, and Hazelnuts (the light / the shade)


Still Life with Jug, Cicada, Grapes, and Hazelnuts (the light / the shade)
oil on linen on panel, 2018, 11"x14"
$5300 / sold

Detail view
One of the most prominently featured insects in Byzantine, Gothic and Renaissance painting was the cicada -- as a symbol of prayer, sanctuary and hope. Also, the hazelnut was seen, by the Greeks and Romans, as a symbol of peace and health.

If you enjoy this painting, you might also enjoy other paintings from my the light / the shade series.

To get my painting in your inbox, sign up here.
To purchase my work, view my Current Auctions and All Available Paintings.

Thanks in advance,


P.S. Tomorrow morning, I'll be announcing registration information for my August 4th workshop in beautiful East Boothbay, Maine.

P.P.S. My August 18-20 painting seminar at the Academy of Realist Art in Boston is FULL, but they are accepting a wait list, just FYI.