Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

Barbounia (Red Mullet) (the light / the shade), Patmos, Greece


Barbounia (Red Mullet) (the light / the shade), Patmos, Greece
Oil on linen on panel, 6x8 inches, 2017

This painting of red mullet from a fish market on Patmos is part of my ongoing painting series, the light / the shade, inspired by American poet Robert Lax's poetry. I painted it on the island of Patmos, Greece while creating work for my Johnston Fellowship research. If you're interested, some snapshot photos from my work in Greece are here.

Next month, a solo exhibition of my the light / the shade work will be held in the Harrison Gallery at Arcadia University. Generous support for my the light / the shade work from June 2016 – June 2018 is provided by the inaugural Dr. Norman Johnston Faculty Fellowship in the Humanities and Social Sciences at Arcadia University.

I posted about this all yesterday, so please read more about the Arcadia exhibition here, for now.

If you've followed my blog, my the light / the shade paintings are part of my daily painting work and are inspired by Robert Lax's minimalist poetry and Lax's contemplative life on Patmos, Greece. If you're not familiar, I first wrote about Robert Lax as the inspiration for my the light / the shade paintings here.

If you enjoy this painting, you may also like to see more paintings from my the light / the shade series.

To get my painting in your inbox, sign up here.
To purchase my work, view my Current Auctions and All Available Paintings.

Thanks in advance,