Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

Larger painting: Still Life with Three Satsumas and Handmade Cup, 8x10 (+ Italy travels)


Still Life with Three Satsumas and Handmade Cup
Oil on linen on panel, 8x10 inches, 2017
Sold

This week, I will be in Rome to travel and paint and study Baroque art. If you'd like to come along, join me on facebook or instagram.

Baroque painters (i.e. Velázquez, Caravaggio, Rembrandt, Rubens, Vermeer...) often depicted a dramatic moment using light & dark (chiaroscuro), and I think it is human nature to go towards (the) light. In my own work, I enjoy sharing a way of looking at the world by capturing a moment (of light) as it is happening -- however dramatic or subtle or simple it may be.

As part of my ongoing Paintings of Handmade Pottery series, the cup in this still life is by Willi Singleton, a potter from Pennsylvania.

If you enjoy this painting, you may also like to see a bunch of my paintings of handmade pottery or satsuma tangerines.

To get my painting in your inbox, sign up here.
To purchase my work, view my Current Auctions and All Available Paintings.

Best,