Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

Pink Pearl Apple (the light, the shade) (+ 100 years old)



Today's painting is part of my ongoing series "the light, the shade" that I began in December 2012. I wrote about how my favorite poet, Bob Lax, was the inspiration for this series here.

Bob Lax would have turned 100 this past Monday, November 30th. In honor, I thought I'd share an excerpt from a recent article about Lax. I especially like the line, "The joy in Lax’s poetry embodies his own interior joy and his discovery of it, almost everywhere, in the exterior world" because it describes, in a way, what my paintings embody for me.

"Just as he was an extraordinary man, Robert Lax was an extraordinary poet. There is nothing conventional or predictable about his poems. Their subjects are by turns visionary and ordinary, celebrating the apocalypse of the everyday. The later poems are spare and strange; their stripped down simplicity engages sound and sense and sight, inviting the reader to see and hear the world anew and to revel in the wonder of the word. The joy in Lax’s poetry embodies his own interior joy and his discovery of it, almost everywhere, in the exterior world." [source]

I just started reading it myself, but I've heard the new Lax biography is wonderful: Pure Act: The Uncommon Life of Robert Lax by Michael N. McGregor.

To purchase my work, view my Current Auctions and All Available Paintings.

Best,