Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

Two Cherries, At the Lake (+ Quotes from Siddhartha)



I read Siddhartha the day I painted Two Cherries, At The Lake. I have been working on writing more about this, but for now I will just share a few quotes that struck me in relation to what painting means to me:
“The river has taught me to listen; you will learn from it, too. The river knows everything; one can learn everything from it.” 
“Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time?”
“Yes, Siddhartha,” he said. “Is this what you mean? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains, everywhere, at that the present only exists for it, not the shadow of the past, nor the shadow of the future?” 
Excerpt is a conversation between Siddhartha & Vasudeva, pp. 105-7, Siddhartha, by Herman Hesse, 1922.

Happy Monday,

To receive detail views of my new paintings, sign in here (it's FREE): 

View Current Painting Auctions
View All Available Paintings

Detail View:
If you are interested in receiving detail views of my work, sign up.


Framed View: