Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

Pear with Snow and Self Portrait Reflected in Silver Cup (+ "the paths that birds make")



My new studio is on the 3rd floor, and the view is inspiring. In this cup's reflections, you can see me in my new painting hat (it's cold in my studio) and snow on the ground with late afternoon light coming through the distant trees.

In addition to my oil paintings, I also make large ink paintings on paper (if you're interested in seeing some, click here). One in particular, which consists of two 35 x 42 in. panels and usually hangs in my living room, was partially inspired by a murmuration, or flock of starlings. In light of that, I just have to share this Jan. 2018 National Geographic magazine article, "If Birds Left Tracks in the Sky, They’d Look Like This." It features amazing works by Barcelona-based photographer Xavi Bou. Prepare yourself and click the link. (Note: There's a slideshow at the bottom of the article with 16 images.)

If you enjoy this painting, you may also like to see Still Life with Blue Vase and Asian Pear (First Snow of 2016), Still Life with Silver Cup, Two Blueberries, & Muscat Grapes (Live Demo Painting)Still Life with Apple & Silver Cup (A Meditation on 8 Years), or a bunch of my paintings of silver objects.

To get my painting in your inbox, sign up here.
To purchase my work, view my Current Auctions and All Available Paintings.

Happy Friday,