Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

Tree of Life, Patagonia, Arizona (+ "it should be impossible")


Tree of Life, Patagonia, Arizona, 2015
7 x 6 in., oil on linen on panel

I made this landscape painting at one of my favorite places in the world -- the Tree of Life in Patagonia, Arizona. I've painted it three times before, which you can see here. For some views of Patagonia, my fun photo album is here.

A bit about my workshops: For me, painting is a daily practice and meditation -- one that is intensely spiritual, transformative, and personal -- and I speak about this in-depth during my workshops. I find that every single workshop participant expresses how invaluable it is to experience my live painting demonstrations, during which I explain my painting process from start to finish. While there is good reason why it should be impossible, I am able to continuously talk while I am painting to explain my strategies, thinking, intuition, meditations, inquiry, reasoning, joys, ideas, challenges, color mixtures, struggles, questions, and so on. Workshop participants of all levels share that they learn immensely during my demos because I explain everything from my first brush stroke to my last -- from an open-minded and non-judgmental place. I also hear from them that it is equally as helpful that once in a while, I don't have an explanation for something I choose to do in a painting. To sign up for a workshop, click here.

To purchase my work, view my Current Painting Auctions and All Available Paintings.

Have a great weekend,