Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

Cherries in a Chilean Bowl


3.5 x 4 in., oil on linen on panel
Click to view auction

A few years ago, we visited family in Chile and I loved it -- the city, the desert, the Andes, the beach, Pablo Neruda's house -- all in less than a week. I brought back this bowl and also a cup (I've painted it a couple times before in May '09 and May '10) -- that it has a traditional Chilean smoke-darkened and carved surfacing. I remember that I discovered these at the local artisan market, Los Dominicos (also where I got my favorite ring of all time ever).

I'm not really a shopper I don't shop at all unless I am travelling. Even then, it takes a lot for me to buy something, so you can be sure that I really love these handmade items, and I enjoy the Chilean energy that they bring into my studio.

In honor of Chile, I'll share some Pablo Neruda with you:
“I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you simply, without problems or pride: I love you in this way because I do not know any other way of loving but this, in which there is no I or you, so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand, so intimate that when I fall asleep your eyes close.”
~Pablo Neruda, 100 Love Sonnets
I'd love to read in the comments if you have a favorite item from your travels -- what it looks and feels like, and what you learned about it. Click here to leave a comment.

Email Subscriber Bonus Detail View
In addition to sharing my thoughts, stories, experiences, & special offers -- I share bonus detail views of my paintings to subscribers of my email list. If you'd like direct access to multiple large detail views of my paintings, sign in here. It's free.



Here's what this painting would look like framed:



View All Available Paintings
Visit Current Painting Auctions