Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

Post-Art in the Open Philadelphia, 2011

Art in the open PhiladelphiaArt in the open Philadelphia

View more photos on Facebook

Art in the Open was a great experience. Mayor Michael Nutter spoke at
the Art in the Open opening about the value of the arts in Philadelphia. During the event, participating artists were along the Schuylkill Banks from Waterworks Pavilion down to near Walnut Street. On the first day, it was extremely hot -- even in the shade -- and I painted by the river in between Chestnut St. and Market St., but I only lasted a little over four hours! Only maybe a dozen passersby were out that day.

The next three days
we had great weather, and I set up my easel just south of the Art Museum down by the river. There were tons of visitors, all very interested in what we artists were doing. I updated my Twitter page periodically during the event so that folks would know where to find me painting. Throughout the four days, I met several people who had been following my blog from afar for years. :) Thanks to everyone who came out for AiO!

View more photos on Facebook

I will be posting paintings that I created during Art in the Open on Friday and Saturday of this week.