Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

"Paintings of Handmade Pottery" Project

View paintings from my "Paintings of Handmade Pottery" project here.

This painting continues the handmade pottery project I started with ceramicist Jury Smith back in January 2008 to create a dialogue between my paintings and handmade functional objects made by living, practicing potters. I recently painted one of Sequoia Miller's bottles (here, here, and here), and this cup is another piece by Jury Smith. I think this project is exciting and compelling on many levels. In the meantime, I am excited because I drew up some sketches and commissioned Jury to make me some bottle forms. In a small way, I hope to pay homage to Morandi.

I've also decided that within this pottery project, I will donate a portion of each painting's sale to the organization, Potters for Peace.

View paintings from my "Paintings of Handmade Pottery" project here.


Still Life with Cup and Sun Gold Tomatoes, oil on linen on panel, 6 x 8 in., 2009