Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

Two Figs (+ The Chronology of Water)


Click to view auction

"Sometime last year, I flipped open a book I knew nothing about that had been recommended by a Twitter acquaintance. The book was Lidia Yuknavitch's 2011 memoir, The Chronology of Water, and if a rawer, more honest contemporary author exists, I have yet to encounter her." "The Lenny Interview: Lidia Yuknavitch" by Suleika Jaouad, August 12, 2016.

These are some excerpts I particularly liked from Jaouad's interview with Yuknavitch:

"I think if you want to write, you should write. What path or what form that takes is incredibly individual. If you're an artist and you're searching for forms of self-expression, you have to invent your own path."

"I'm trying to help us remember that we invent our own beauty and our own paths and our own crooked, weird ways of doing things, but that they're not nothing and they matter, too. We're the half of culture that doesn’t take the paths that are sitting right in front of us. Our song may be a little off-key, but it's a kind of beauty, too. I know I'm not the person who thought that up, and I'm not the person who invented that as a truth, but I can sure stand up and help remind us not to give up, that we have a song, too."

To get my painting in your inbox, sign up here.
To purchase my work, view my Current Auctions and All Available Paintings.