Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

kohlakoura beach, lipsi, greece (the light / the shade)


kohlakoura beach, lipsi, greece (the light / the shade)
oil on linen on panel, 2017, 4"x6"

Robert Lax's three favorite Greek islands were Kalymnos, Lipsi, and Patmos (where I spent time painting). Lipsi is the smallest of the three, at about 6 square miles, and there's only 1 taxi on the island. It's a 25 minute ferry ride from Patmos and we went there twice while staying on Patmos. On one visit, we met Yanni, a former sponge diver, and a passerby helped translate a conversation. We learned that Yanni actually knew Lax (here's a photo of Yanni). Kohlakoura is a white pebble beach (another photo here). My Greece snapshots are a bit out of order, but those links give a glimpse of it.

In this painting I used a little bit of an interesting Vasari color that's not usually on my palette: Video Blue Extra Pale (click on the name to see a photo of it on Lipsi). It's a vibrant and delicate cool blue -- like an opaque bluish white that's chromatic enough for complementary mixing with warm yellow/orange/earth colors.

the light / the shade exhibition at Arcadia
If you enjoy this painting, you may like to read more about abbey ryan: the light / the shade, my exhibition in the Harrison Gallery at Arcadia University on view from April 16 - June 16.

You can also see other paintings from my the light / the shade series.

Ending tonight at 7:30 PM EST:

Click on the image to view auction

To get my painting in your inbox, sign up here.
To purchase my work, view my Current Auctions and All Available Paintings.

Thanks in advance,