Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

On Bell Rock In A Passing Storm, Sedona, Arizona


On Bell Rock In A Passing Storm, Sedona, Arizona, 2015
5 x 6 in., oil on linen on panel

After I finished teaching my May workshop in Sedona, we hiked halfway up Bell Rock so I could paint this view towards Cathedral Rock. It was late late afternoon, and my plan was to paint the sunset and awesome dark storm clouds -- off in the distance. Just as I started painting, the wind picked up and blew the rain towards us in a matter of minutes. As the clouds came closer, I was in awe of how the sky in the distance became lit up. All the hikers and sightseers around fled the scene, except for a newly married bride and groom and their photographer, as they were in the middle of a wedding day photo shoot. I didn't have an umbrella and neither did they. Since the bride and groom stayed, and I had painted a monsoon in Ajo, Arizona and a passing storm on the beach in Cuba before -- I decided to just keep painting. My easel and I almost blew over, and by the end, my palette was one big puddle. I have a photo of the first few strokes of the painting and one of the finished painting #ontheeasel after the storm passed. What happened in between is only captured in my painting.

AUCTION ENDING TODAY at 9PM EST: 
PB & J (First of 2015) - current high bid: $455

To purchase my work, view my Current Painting Auctions and All Available Paintings.

Best,