Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

Japanese Vase with Tangerine and Grapes


Oil on linen on panel, 5 x 6 in., 2013
Email me for purchase information

In this still life is a sweet little wood-fired vase made by an artist living in Japan. You can read about the artist, Dave Pike, here.

I painted this during my recent Yardley workshop. As I was doing this painting demo, I explained some of my thoughts on handmade objects, and the spirit and gesture embedded in them. (Everyone really stuck with me and all my meditation and spirituality talk.) One of my workshop participants then told me about a book called Wabi-Sabi: for Artists, Designers, Poets & Philosophers by Leonard Koren (I had never heard of this book -- thanks, Wanda!).

I love when things come into your life at just the right time. [This has been happening a lot lately for me, and I'll be sharing more as things come up (including my trip last month to South Korea)...]

Anyway, I just started reading it. I'll maybe write more when I'm finished.

Best,

To receive detail views of my paintings, sign in here (it's FREE):

View All Available Paintings