Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

Blue and White Sake Cup with Cranberries and Eucalyptus

Abbey Ryan painting



















4 x 6 in., oil on linen on panel
Click to view auction

This sake cup and eucalyptus branch are two favorite subjects of mine. I'm not sure why, but this painting takes me back to an amazing Sonia Sanchez lecture that I attended in March at Arcadia University. Ms. Sanchez is the Poet Laureate of Philadelphia, and I feel so fortunate that I was able to hear her speak. She recited several poems, recounted her memories of Audre Lorde, and spoke about peace, poetry, life, and the value of teaching children how to really breathe. Her words were moving and have stayed with me.

I tried to jot down some notes so that I would not forget it all. I absolutely love one thought that she shared about our hearts and minds, but I can't seem to figure out a way to explain it here. Instead, I'll just share a great quote that Ms. Sanchez talked about:
"The purpose of art is to lay bare the questions that have been hidden by the answers."      -James Baldwin (1924-1987)
I would encourage all of you to read more about this remarkable woman here and at her web site. I also just found her on Facebook here!

I love hear your thoughts on Ms. Sanchez, or poetry, or the purpose of art.... Click here to leave me a comment.

Visit my Current Painting Auctions and All Available Paintings.

Here's what this painting would look like framed:
Abbey Ryan painting