Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

Yellow Pear Wrapped in Green Tissue Paper (+ a painting I love)


5 x 6 in., oil on linen on panel
Click to view auction

The Co-op where I shop sells pears still wrapped in tissue paper. Usually the tissue paper is white, but recently -- to my great pleasure -- they had green.

I've only painted wrapped fruit a couple of times before, but I have always admired William J. McCloskey's wrapped fruit paintings from the late 1800s. My current favorite is this one - Oranges Wrapped in Tissue Paper from 1890. It is mesmerizing. I haven't seen it in person, but I found someone's snapshot on Flickr of it hanging in the de Young Museum. It's not the subject of the snapshot, but it still looks gorgeous, so take a look if you're interested.

I wanted to THANK YOU for your wonderful responses to my Cuba post and to my new video collaboration with my cousin, Colin. I am working my way through all of your fantastic emails, and I will write you ALL back as soon as I can.

Workshop Update: My Yardley workshop for September is full, but they are accepting a wait list. From what I know, wait listed participants do get in, so I encourage you to sign up if you're thinking about it. More info here and testimonials here.

Visit my Current Painting Auctions
View All Available Paintings

Here's what this painting would look like framed: